Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Skippy Says: Israel Recap, Part III (Vacation Recap)

Our first few days in Israel were spent in the Negev, or the desert, which makes up about 70% of Israel's land. 70% of the land in a country the size of New Jersey. Good thing it's so freaking beautiful.


Towards the end of one of our desert hikes, we came across a pretty steep sandhill. Like, almost 90 degrees steep. And then our tour guide told anyone with a bit of extra energy they could run up it. Ryan, for your own good, I suggest you stop reading now.
Stop.
Now.
I ran my pregnant butt up that sandhill as fast as my little legs would carry me. Which was not very fast. Especially since it quickly got so steep that you couldn't run or walk--you literally had to bear crawl up with your hands digging into the hill as if you were rock climbing. Except, you know, with sand instead of rocks. And then I slid down on my butt. And ended up with pants full of sand. Because I'm sexy like that.


A few days later we got all dolled up for a night out on the town in Jerusalem. And by dolled up I mean I searched desperately through my suitcase for something I could fit into. What? That's not a good idea of your time? What about if I tell you that I got myself a nice hot cup of decaf tea while the rest of the group had themselves some delicious Israeli beer? Oh, that's not so fun either?


It's ok, a little bit later I got myself some delicious pitas to make myself feel better. One filled with goat cheese and honey, and another filled with a creamy chocolatey spread. I'd pick that over beer any day.

17 comments:

  1. Wow that hill looked so steep! I don't know how you made it up there! Mmm pitas sound yummy with all those fillings :)

    katattack2000.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! That sandhill looks/sounds intense. Ok, pita filled with goat cheese & honey?! That's amazing

    Love how you're rockin' the SF hat :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it is crazy that you ran up that hill! And a pita filled with chocolate, you say? Sounds like a dream come true!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that photo of the hill! And you look cute for the night out, too. Pita with goat cheese and honey certainly sounds better than beer to me, though I'd like to see what an Israeli beer tastes like one of these days :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. AMAZING! You are so brave! Haha. Oh my goodness... I am so excited to see this little belly of yours grow... Don't hate me for saying that, but you are going to be such a gorgeous Mommy! I love that last picture of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A pita filled with goat cheese & honey?! That's one of the best things I've ever heard in my life..

    xo,
    Hannah
    www.chillairandperfume.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What an amazing trip! I would love to go there some day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had no idea the land country was only 70% of Israel which was the size of NJ! So sorry to hear that you had to drink coffee while the rest had beer...I don't think I could have a baby. No vino for 9 months? OMG....

    ReplyDelete
  9. No, sorry, 70% of the country is desert (and the whole country is the size of New Jersey) is what I was trying to say. So it's as if 70% of New Jersey were desert. Sorry fi that wasn't clear...
    Oh, and no coffee for me :( I gave that up while I'm pregnant too, since the baby can't metabolize caffeine. I had decaf tea....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anna@ThriftyBusinessFebruary 29, 2012 at 2:33 PM

    I'm going to guess that you missed out on Goldstar. It IS good by anyone's standards but you didn't miss out on too much. The pita sounds a lot better :)

    Have you gotten to go to all the ruins and ancient temples/churches around Jerusalem? That's my favorite part about the city (that and the flea market)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would have totally done that climb too!

    Btw, belated congratulations! I know you'll have fun styling baby!

    xoxo,
    Chic 'n Cheap Living

    ReplyDelete
  12. I heard the food is Israel is delicious! Anything in a pita sounds fantastic to me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Would have loved to see you scramble up that hill! :) I think swapping the beer for pitas is a reasonable trade. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. We actually didn't get to do that on this trip too much, but I've been to Israel before and so fortunately I did get to experience it- it's my favorite part too :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. sounds like a great trip! you are such a cute pregger- can't wait to see how your amazing style morphs over the coming months
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. sounds really awesome! Looks like everyone is having a great time! I hope I can visit Israel someday.

    mongs
    mythriftycloset,blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Trip to Israel is something that was the best for me. I went with expert Israel trips, and I bring a lot of impressions.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...