Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Skippy Says: It's A Girl! (OOTD)

I'm the only girl on my dad's side of the family. You see, my dad is the youngest of two boys. When his brother got married, he had a son, then my dad had my brother, and then his brother had another son. Then, I was born, the first girl in that family in generations. My grandparents were overjoyed-- my grandma loves to tell the story of how my grandpa ran 5 miles through the snow in the dead of winter in Russia to deliver the news to her. She worked in a factory, and when my grandpa told her my mom and dad had a girl she grabbed a random co-worker standing next to her and gave her a kiss.

I remember vividly when my grandparents would visit us. My grandma would sit on a chair in the corner of the living room clapping her hands and singing a Russian song about gentlemen asking the ladies to dance. My favorite line of the song translates to "ladies, don't shake your butt, it's not a propeller and you are not an airplane." I would stand in the middle of the room, twirling in my dress, shaking my butt as hard as I could whenever that line was coming up. And here's where Ryan would interject and say that explains a lot about my personality. And then I'd shoot him a dirty look and try to think of a witty comeback. But honesty I'd fail because I'm no good at comebacks so I'd just call him an asshole. We have a very loving relationship.

There are days when I think life would be so much easier if I were a boy, particularly with respect to balancing career and family. And then there are days like today, where I relish in being a girl-- floral skirts, lace tops, bright red lipstick, and all.









Shop:
- Banana Republic blouse (bought on sale, buy on sale here. Or buy similar here or an amazing but pricier version here)
- Gap camisole worn under blouse (bought on sale, buy similar here)
- Anthropologie skirt (bought on sale, no longer available)
- Anthropologie shoes (bought on sale, no longer available)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...